Robotboy is a robot built by Professor Moshimo. He was designed to resemble a real boy. Robotboy has three activation modes: deactivation, where he resembles a doll; normal, where he is roughly Tommy Turnbull's height; and super activated, where he is twice Tommy's height, and has a plethora of machine guns and rockets. During the opening, it's stated that Robotboy was given to Tommy for Robotboy to learn how to be more like a human boy, but it is not stated how long he had been activated or why Tommy was his chosen guardian (we can presume that Moshimo's reasoning is behind Tommy being his number 1 fan)
Robotboy is roughly 30 cm (about 1 foot) in Deactivated mode, 45 cm (1.5 feet) in Activated mode, and 182.5 cm (6 feet) in Super-activated mode. However, if you include his ears, SA Robotboy would be 7 feet tall, greatly towering over any adult in the show, even Kurt's Father.
"Robotboy is a robot with three modes: Deactivated, Activated and Superactivated. While deactivated, he becomes small enough to fit into a backpack. As well as being incredibly almost indestructible, Robotboy has an emotional chip that makes him think and feel like a real boy."
Robotboy is naive, and is very easily led (most often by Gus, and into certain negative situations). However, when things come down to the wire, he's often the first to react and has a fair understanding of his surroundings and circumstances.
Robotboy is overprotective of Tommy and his friends (and Robotgirl during their brief encounter) On more than one occasion, he's been openly willing to do anything to keep each of them safe. If Tommy orders him to stop though, Robotboy will stop almost instantly. Robotboy's over-protectiveness is more blatant in the beginning episodes of the first season, then again near the end of the season. This cycles throughout the first three seasons that were aired.
He is shown not to like dishonesty, and has a fair bit of respect for those around him (except for Gus). He appears to like having fun with Tommy and on occasion Lola.
Robotboy was created by Professor Moshimo as a force to protect the world from threats after Protoboy failed. But because he was in danger he was then passed to Tommy to learn more about humanity, which is the base of the show.
PowersRobotboy's powers can be sectioned by his modes of
Arsenal / Powers
Coming from the most advanced fighting robot ever, he has a fair share amount of cool weapons.
Like drill arms to shake the ground.
Robotboy can Fly by using flames on his feet.
Robotboy has strong wind breath as demostrated when he accidentally blow to hard that the all the cheese on the pizza went to Kamikazi.
Robotboy can use a Super Sonic Wave as demostrated when he said "YOU WANT BUY CANDY!".
Survive without a head
A huge hand that possibly increases his strength.
Rocket launchers which can cause big mushroom clouds.
Has a forcefield he tends to use as a means to block an attack and deflect it.
His armor alone can already deflect powerful flamethrowers.
He's able to miniaturize himself, and make himself smaller than even blood cells.
He can also do the opposite, and become humongous. The augmentation process is slow (takes about half an hour, more or less), and the gif shows the biggest he ever got.
He can act as a remote control, and change the channels.
Has satellite reception.
He's got a flammable belch.
Reads and scans a magazine about wrestling in seconds and becomes a pro wrestler.
He's got AMAZING sight and hearing.
Robotboy can survive without a head as demostrated when he was decapitated by Kamikazi's Machine in Human Fist on Ice.
Robotboy can survive in space.
He uses the "Enemy Robot Detector" to detect evil robots, basically. He manages to detect one who's microscopic and inside a human's body.
He can also detect jumbo jets, flying over 500 miles per hour (804 kph) and over 40 thousand feet (12192 m) high.
And he can also smell a lost cat's urine and find it somewhere in a city.
Also able to detect Tommy's excitement after having a nightmare.
His weaponry might not be all that impressive to some, but his range is ridiculous.
Energy drinks and other strong liquids can power him up.
Lightning powers him up aswell.
Most impressive of all, regeneration.
- While microscopic, his strength decreases, but he's still absurdly strong, causing some damage while inside a human's body and while fighting another robot and being able to throw a human several feet away very easily.
- Rips out the cables that are holding a bridge.
- Kicks down huge prison door.
- Accidentally kicks a hole in the middle of the sidewalk, even though he only wanted to kick the puddle.
- Slaps Gus so hard he makes the whole house shake.
- Destroys a bunch of cars.
- Lifts car and throws it hard enough to make it explode.
- Kicks Donnie into the sky, high enough to crash against a helicopter. Helicopters usually fly from 10 thousand to 25 thousand feet (3048 - 7620 m) high, and Donnie reached that altitude in record time.
- Kicks football ball so hard it catches up on fire.
- Blows missiles out of their trajectory with his breath.
- Fights and beats a tornado with his breath alone.
- Catches several vehicles that are being thrown in the air.
- Dodges a few howitzers, catches one of them and throws it hard enough to blow up the other cannons. This also counts as a speed feat.
- Throws satellite into outer space.
- Lifts and carries airship, fills it up with water and then throws it hard enough to make it pop against a building.
- Lifts and carries a cruise ship at high speeds.
- Throws bowling ball this hard without even trying. Notice that not only the ball catches up on fire, but it bends the buildings around it sideways and destroys another bowling ball that was several kilometers away, along with two thick concrete walls.
- Punches the seafloor so hard he creates a small mountain that lifts a sinking cruise ship.
- Move at a speed so great he is invisible to the human eye (FTE while holding back his strength).
- Turns several whole trees into splinters with a tiny axe. This might also count as a strength feat.
- Hits crystal statue hard enough to blow up car.
- Does a few twirls to confuse missile.
- Dodges laser from a military satellite.
- Punches several arrows and catches bazooka projectile, throws it back and blows up bulldozer.
- Turns into a tornado and cleans up a room, filling the wardrobe with lots of stuff without Tommy realizing.
- Goes from the USA to Japan in a few seconds.
- Escapes a mushroom cloud.
- Goes from on top of a satellite to Earth really fast.
- Flies through meteor. This also counts as a durability feat.
Flight (via propulsor): Robotboy has enchanced speed that reach at least 100 miles, with the Energy Additive made by Moshimo, he's fast enough to go to space in seconds.
- bitten by one of Gus' clones and a dog
- Dog Ra's blasts don't do anything to him. The only reason Robotboy doesn't fight back here is because Tommy ordered him to not hurt Dog Ra.
- One of Robotman's missiles (Robotman is essentially a grown up, better version of Robotboy) only manages to push him. He gets back up immediately, and dodges the other missiles.
- Scratches the road while going faster than a missile and doesn't even feel it.
- Tanks skyscraper falling on him.
- An entire kingdom throws everything they've got at him and he tanks it all like nothing.
- Beats a group of ninjas really easily.
- I'll add this here just to show off his intelligence: He turns two normal toys into sentient robots in a matter of seconds.
- Beats Constantine while headless, and without knowing what he was doing. Constantine is a master sumo wrestler and is roughly as strong as Robotboy is.
- Beats several headless clones.
- Has learned to play possom. He used this tactic against Protoboy (basically Robotboy's evil big brother) by turning into his (semi)deactivated mode. As you can see however, he's still got his horns, showing that he isn't completely deactivated. Protoboy believed that he had beaten Robotboy, so he turned his back for a second only for Ro' to come back and sneak on him by ripping out Protoboy's heart.
- Rebels against Tommy, the only one who can deactivate him. This happened twice on the show, and I put it just here to show Ro's willpower, as he will not let Tommy deactivate if he thinks he's doing the right thing.
- He can breakdance. 'Nuff said.
Robotboy can ran out of oil by crying.
Robotboy cannot eat human food, it can be stuck into his circuits.
Robotboy is not able to eat certain liquids like ice cream or grease. it can get stuck into his circuits.
Robotboy has limited strength as shown he's not able to lift houses or buildings (this strength limit can be exceeded in Super-activated mode).
Robotboy can be harmed by Electricity, as demostrated in his fight with Mona Lethal.
Robotboy can be harmed by Magic.
Tommy is Robotboy's keeper and best friend. Having the biggest interaction with him, they mostly spend together in many different adventures whenever they have free time or whenever danger presents itself. They often have each others' backs, but Tommy is often the one to be saved. However, even best friends have their off-days. Because of him being so naive, Tommy (most of the time under the influence of Gus) will sometimes take advantage of Robotboy in order to get something he wants or to skip his regular childhood life of school or a few other things.
Though Tommy is his best friend and always promises to teach him how to be a real boy or buy him things, the act on Robotboy's secrecy often hurts the little robot's feelings and puts him at odds with Tommy whenever he goes off to do something fun or cool and leaves him behind. However, in the end, they always managed to put their differences aside and stay the best of friends. Robotboy's over-protectiveness of Tommy can be seen throughout the series, and is most prominent in "Mancation" when, as he's stuck in Superactivated mode, he protects Tommy from any type of danger he sees him in-including Dwight dressed in a bear-skin, despite Tommy claiming he's alright and not in any danger.
Good friends. While they don't have a large amount of interaction, Robotboy has shown some protective tendencies around Lola, and they get along decently. In "Halloween", he (in Superactivated mode) gives her a thumbs-up as his way of thanking her for helping take care of the dragon monster and in "The Homecoming", he looks very surprised when she kisses him goodbye. Robotboy treats Lola with much kindness and respect as she does in return.
Robotboy is friends with Gus, (albeit grudgingly). Gus has been known to manipulate and use Robotboy for his own gain. Due to this, Robotboy is often at odds with Gus by the end of an episode or sometimes even in the middle of one. Even so, Robotboy has shown to be protective of Gus, as well, and has rescued him many times. During the spat with Tommy in "Runaway Robot", Robotboy chose to live with Gus since he was more care-free and fun than Tommy and would let him do whatever he wanted on the condition that Gus didn't boss him around.
Good friends. During their first meeting in "Robot Girl", Robotgirl and Robotboy were very friendly with each other-although Robotboy was afraid of her at first but then quickly warmed up to her while playing tag. Robotboy becomes protective of Robotgirl, shielding her from the bat clones before their capture, then not willing to let Tommy leave her behind in the clutches of Dr. Kamikazi, and lastly helping Tommy try to understand her feelings after she was repaired in "The Return of Robotgirl". As she was built after Robotboy, Robotgirl often has to learn things from Robotboy the hard way. It is theorized that Robotgirl is either just a friend or his younger sister, seeing as to how Moshimo had built her, too. In order to first Superactivate, Robotgirl had to imagine never seeing Robotboy and Tommy again, which prompted her transformation to save them (and Constantine) from being crushed, signifying that she has gained some protectiveness over the two of them.
Enemy. Kamikazi has tried on many occasions to reprogram and clone Robotboy or destroy Tommy, to no avail. Because of this, Robotboy despises Kamikazi and is always ready to give him a good thrashing whenever he shows up.
Enemy. As he works with Kamikazi but is not always in the area of attack, Robotboy and Constantine do not interact directly often but has fought with each other in some episodes. In some way Constantine is rather a potential opponent to Robotboy, getting the best of him short-handily where other villains could not. However, Robotboy seems to be more tolerable and sometimes friendly with Constantine when he's not doing Kamikazi's bidding and being nice to Tommy and his friends. Robotboy even rescued Constantine a few times from harm ("The Consultant", "Bad Language" and "The Legend of Brainy-Yak")
Enemies. Both are bent on destroying the other (as per robot fighting rules), but are perfectly equal. Because equality in strength it said by Moshimo that they could fight for eternity until one of them destroys one another.
Enemies. Although they were friends at first, Protoboy's attempts to cause havoc and to kill Tommy stopped these attempts in their tracks. Robotboy allegedly destroys Protoboy, but it is revealed in a later episode that the attempt proved futile. He returns again, this time outright eliminating Robotboy, but fails and is, again, apparently killed. As per usual, he returns again and tries to eliminate Robotboy and Robotgirl, but was defeated once again and killed for good. Despite being enemies to each other Robotboy has feelings for him and tries to convince him to be good instead of being evil since they are brothers after all.
Robotboy has been compared to other shows with similar characters numerous times. First Astro Boy, of which it has been referred to as a clear rip-off by some people. The similarity may be related to the fact that the 2003 version of Astro Boy had also run on Cartoon Network about two years prior to Robotboy. Secondly, it's also been labeled rip-offs of "My Life as a Teenage Robot", a show on Nickelodeon, and "Whatever Happened to Robot Jones?", another show on Cartoon Network. On My Life as a Teenage Robot, Jenny Wakeman is a robot who acts like a normal teenager and is a superhero, which Robotboy is, while Robot Jones is learning about the very basics of human behavior, which Robotboy is doing as well. Lastly, Robotboy shares several very close similarities with the popular video game character Mega Man, such as a similar color and body appearance, an evil scientist who has a history with the main heroic scientist as the main villain, and the use of a "Prototype brother" robot as a plot-line. Also, in the episode, "Sweet Revenge", the pilot of the helicopter is seen bearing the symbol of the rebel forces from the Star Wars series. Robotboy may actually be a coincidence or an homage to those franchises. Robotboy as a character is really exempt from controversy. Short of Kamikazi, Robotboy is one of the characters with the highest amount of controversy. Popular reasons include:
- His voice impediment.
- His coloring in comparison to other characters
Following the production of My Life as a Teenage Robot, another robot themed show, a number of companies tried to and gave up on creating their own robot themed shows.
- Along with his best friend Tommy, Robotboy has appeared on every episode of the series.
- Robotboy refers to himself as "third person" in most episodes, however it could be due to his lack of grammar. However, there are some moments where he referred himself as "first person", albeit with his lack of grammar.
- Robotboy was told what jealousy means twice (The first time was in Dog-Ra, and the second time was in Valentine's Day).
- Robotboy is never seen speaking in his Superactivated form, except in a few French episodes.
- There are exactly 7 episodes where Robotboy does not say or speak a single word, the episodes that include are: "War and Pieces", "Constantine Rising", "Kurt's Father", "The Manchurian Robot", "Tummy Trouble" "Mancation" and "Momma's Boy".
- Robotboy is unable to cry, until the events of "Crying Time" and while it is the only episode where he cries he almost cried with joy in the episode "Hair-A-Parent".
- Throughout the whole show, Robotboy has Superactivated approximately 89 times
- In Tummy Trouble and The Legend of Brainy Yak, he along with Tommy Turnbull is not a main character.
- The first words we hear from Robotboy are: "Evil, Robotboy destroy!" Referring that he wanted to attack the Dog-Ra, being disguised as a little puppy, from the premiere episode "Dog-Ra".
- The very last words we get to hear from him in the show would be: "No, get back!" When he tried to stop Robotgirl from being turned into titanium in the factory in "The Return of Robotgirl".
- Two of Robotboy's favorite TV shows are The Human Fist Show and Mortal Kombot. He also enjoys shows that has robots, whether they be sci-fi ones or other fighting robots, such as the "Robo-Battle" show he and Tommy wanted to watch in "Wrestling With Gus".
- There was a popular belief that Robotboy was voiced by Tara Charendoff Strong. However, this is a mere rumor and thus not true.
|Castilian Spanish||Celia De Diego|
|Latin Spanish||Elsa Covián|
The Robotboy Wiki has a collection of images and media related to Robotboy.